Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What do you want to do "when you grow up"?

Yup...that's right, I'm asking you what you want to do when you grow up. If you've heard any of the new AARP advertising, you've seen numerous Baby Boomers making statements about what they want to do when they grow up.

You hear things like, "When I grow up I want to own my own restaurant." "I want to write a novel." "I want to build affordable housing." And, many more options.

Many of us give up on our dreams as we get older. But I maintain, like AARP, that we are never done growing--and that we CAN accomplish our dreams no matter what the number is on your birthday cake!

Remember what Mark Twain said, "Twenty years from now, you'll be much more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the things that you did do." (I believe that will be just as true five or ten years from now.)

I'm a living and breathing example of a Baby Boomer accomplishing a version of her dream. In high school, my dream was to be a teacher. I began college studying business education and English with the goal of teaching. But, life happened. And, at age 19, I got married and quit college after two years. I did go back and finish my degree several years later. But, by that time, I was working in the corporate world and business education became business administration. English became business communication. However, now, although I'm not working in a classroom teaching young people, I most certainly am doing many of those very things that drew me to the teaching profession. I'm coaching, training, mentoring and working with others to help them achieve their goals--and their dreams. If I can do it, so can you!

"At what age did you give up on your dreams? Is it time now to take them back?" What DO you want to do when you grown up?

I'd love to hear from Baby Boomers who are accomplishing their long-held dreams--or who would like to explore options and opportunities that might allow them to do just that! Please comment and let me know if you've taken back your dreams and are now living your passion.

At 2Young2Retire-MN, we help people 50+ reinvent themselves, reignite their passions, reposition themselves and focus on what's most important to them. They explore options and opportunities--and realize that the skills, knowledge and experience they bring to the table are unique and special--and begin to really believe in themselves and what they can accomplish! And, that gives them the attitude they need to do incredible things in the next phase of their lives!

Contact us at lindam@2young2retire-mn.com or call 952-895-1013.

No comments:

Post a Comment